This is fiction

I cannot express enough that every story I write and post is a work of fiction. Nothing is based on me, or anyone I know. Some of my stories are motivated by my dreams or random ideas I may have, but that's about as personal as it gets! Please enjoy :-)

Sunday 1 June 2014

what is life - short story #2

"I am so excited. I've been working very hard to get enough credit so that I could finally choose my own destiny" Paris, or at least that's how she would soon be known, just stepped in line to be born."I've still got to die about another 3 times, that is of course, if everything goes according to plan. So what destiny did you choose?" Charles wasn't looking forward to his birth. But it had to be done. He was to be born to a teenage mother in the DRC, as a result of a brutal attack on her by rebels. His life was going to be tough. His goal was to make a difference, and to NOT be corrupted, like he was in his past life. Hopefully he would get it right this time so that he didn't have to repeat it. "I'm going to be a wealthy heiress. I thought I could take a break after all that hard work" Charles was intrigued "What goal did they give you for that?" "Well I asked them to be lenient with me because this is my 'holiday'. I may only lose my virginity to my husband. Considering the fact that I'll be coming out of a family with that kind of wealth, I'll probably be in he spot light a lot, which should keep me in check so that I don't wander off the path. It would be awesome if they let us in with our memories, like they did in the beginning with the first two generations of players."

What is the world? What is life? When you're in the game, it's your sole existence. There is nothing else. The game starts the moment that you are born. When you start out, you don't have a choice, a life is chosen for you, and you are given a goal. If you achieve that goal, you gain credit. The more difficult the life or the more difficult the goal, the higher the credit, till you have enough of it to chose your own destiny, or buy advantages. What is religion? It's the memories of the first two generations of players, the memory of the 'big guy' that created the game, and the rules they were given to achieve their goals.

Paris is an experienced player. The last time she built up enough credit, she bought an advantage; to remember her past life. Considering the fact that the life she was in when she took that advantage, was one of an Indian boy, born with deformities and given the goal to become rich and famous, this advantage came in pretty handy. He (who will now be a she) wrote religious books on reincarnation which sold out around the world. He was so successful and gained so much credit from that life that he only needed to live one more life, to chose his own destiny.

"When I finally get to chose my own destiny, I want to become a rich doctor who donates his time and efforts in Africa. Spending my last two lives there have really given me a different perspective on the game. Considering how long a lifetime is, I think it's worth trying to improve the standards a bit. In my last life I lost my leg to a land mine, and then I died from infection because I didn't get any proper medical treatment. Had I had a competent doctor, I might have lived long enough to see the error in my ways, and then I wouldn't be back at square one right now." Charles was feeling quite annoyed with his failure.

"Well I wish you the best of luck in your new life Charles. I see I'm up. When I die, I'll look you up and see how you've done" Paris put her hand on Charles' shoulder and gave it a tight squeeze, then turned to the red door in front of her. She drew in a deep breath and then opened it. As Paris walked through the pitch black hallway toward the light, she could hear her father and the hospital staff, "push Kathy, you're nearly there" and then suddenly, Paris' mind was blank and she begun to scream for air.

No comments:

Post a Comment